Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Earth Day Card Contest

Kelly Jo had an Earth Day contest in which we could submit one scrapbook page or two cards. The catch was that we had to use some sort of recycled material. I chose to use Diet Coke cans for my projects. A lot of you have been asking how I put this plan into action, so here is a little picture tutorial for you:



I cut the top and the bottom off using my awesome Craftsman knife and my even more awesome Fiskars kitchen shears (these things will cut anything)!



Once I cut off the bottom and the top, I then cut a slit across the heighth of the soda can:



Okay, now it's time to get out your Sizzix Big Shot or whatever comparable machine you have that will run Sizzix dies. I used my Top Note Die and my Scallop Circle Die for this project. I ran both cans through the machine, just as I would paper. This is how they turned out:







At this point, I sanded the edges a bit, because they were pretty sharp. Proceed with caution when using any type of sharp metal. Then I ran them through my Sizzix again using two different Cuttlebug Embossing folders. I used the polka dots and the swirls for this project. I turned the can over, so that you can still see that it is a Diet Coke can here:



I had so much fun doing this! Now I want to try and paint the aluminum, or alter it in different ways. Thanks for checking this out! Here are my finished projects:

Card #1



Card #2





Have a great day everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea.... although I don't drink cans of fizzy drink. Might try this with plastic bottles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cards for Earth day are awesome, fantastic work!!

    ReplyDelete